Wednesday 10 December 2014

Mod: Modular Underbarrel Demolisher System

One of the things I wanted most from the Demolisher was a detachable rocket launcher, because I like underbarrel grenade launchers. Sadly the stock Demolisher rocket launcher is permanently integrated, so I did it myself.



The cut I made to separate the underbarrel rocket launcher was quite clean and straight, the only problem being the open space left in the shell. The other main issue now is that the bottom flywheel is exposed, though with the rocket launcher or the rail attached it's not a huge problem, though I may fill some of the gaps with cardboard.

 This is the rocket launcher module. The pieces of wood fit into the gaps in the Demo.
 The rocket launcher is secured into the Demo using 4 screws, two on each side. They go into the blocks of wood which are secured to the rocket launcher, making the Demo basically back to what it was.
As you can see, with the rocket launcher reattached, from a distance it looks practically stock.

 For when the rocket launcher is not in use on the Demo, I made a tactical rail that slots right in, partly to help fill the shell gap and also for comfort.
 Like the rocket launcher, it's held in by 4 screws, two on each side. It shares the two front screws with the rocket launcher, but the rear two screws are different.
With the Retaliator's foregrip attached. I think it looks quite good, and is fairly comfortable to use. It also works with an angled foregrip. Moving the tac rail a few centimetres forward may make foregrips more comfortable to hold, though I personally don't like the look of grips so far forward.

Now a question you'll probably ask is "Doesn't replacing the rocket launcher with a tac rail basically make it a Stryfe?"
Functionally, yes, since they're both clip (mag) fed semi auto blasters. Sure the Demolisher is physically a little different internally as well as larger, but they both do the same thing.
However the Demolisher has 2 more tactical rails (including the 2 rails I added) compared to the Stryfe, and has a different aesthetic. To me the Stryfe has a pistol/PDW/SMG type aesthetic without barrel extensions, while the Demolisher has a carbine/assault rifle aesthetic.

 The main reason I made the rocket launcher to be detachable was to make it into a standalone blaster using a Barricade body, of which I have several spare. Neither the trigger nor the battery box do anything useful.
The rocket launcher is secured to the Barricade body again with 4 screws, however these screws are totally different to the ones that attach to the Demolisher. Though difficult to see side on, there are two screw heads present on either side of the Barricade body, right behind the rocket launcher.
 One of the main draws for using a Barricade body was the ability to attach a stock and sight. While any sight is pretty useless, a Demolisher stock is extremely useful as it allows the storage of an extra rocket. A stock is also useful for bracing the rocket launcher, since it's pump to fire.
The Barricade shell is just empty and hollowed out for the rocket launcher to slot in.

This project is not yet complete. The final part of this project involves using tactical rail clips, probably sourced from Slydev, to allow the attaching of the rocket launcher to any blaster with a long enough tac rail. While more tacticool than practical, having an underslung rocket/grenade launcher is something I've wanted to make for a long time.

15 comments:

  1. Cool stuff. I love modular things, especially when they are actually useful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although these grenade launcher/rocket launchers are really cool, they aren't practical and have pretty much no good use in a nerf war. Unless you rigged the tips of thge grenades to release darts when they made impact, there is no point to use one of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not entirely true. A lot of gametypes have special equipment or power ups such as shields or zombie tanks respectively, both of which are immune to darts but are vulnerable to rockets. Having a compact and effective rocket launcher can let you take out these sorts of threats out rather than having to retreat to get backup.
      Since such rocket launchers are also usually fairly powerful, they can be couplered to fire multiple darts at once, or even a single dart with a lot of power.
      I haven't gotten around to the range of the rocket launcher either, which is superior to that of a stock grey trigger blaster, so rockets are nice for a cover fire/suppression in a stock blaster game.

      Delete
  3. I stand corrected. They are pretty useful indoors, actually .

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a stand-alone rocket launcher coming out this fall. It will be named the ThunderBlast. (N-Strike)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean "There is a stand-alone rocket launcher that is currently available named the Thunderblast." A friend of mine has one, I tried it out and can honestly say that ergonomically I much prefer using a Blastzooka or my mini Demo.
      Also the fact that the Thunderblast costs as much as a Crossbolt make it a total non-buy for me.
      Not to mention I made this mini Demo that can be reformed into a regular Demo using just the Demo itself and an old spare Barricade.

      Delete
    2. Note: I wasn't trying to start a flame war.

      Delete
    3. I'm not seeing any flame war starting, that typically involves unjustified insulting and colourful language. I'm just saying that for me, the Thunderblast is completely pointless because I can (and have) made a more efficient version myself, on the way also creating what is effectively a big, more comfortable Stryfe.

      Delete
    4. I have a question, Do you think larger Nerf guns are more comfortable?

      Delete
    5. It's pretty hard to say. What do you mean by comfortable? Comfortable changes depending on the blaster, user and grip position. For instance I find the Sweet Revenge very comfortable to one-hand or two-hand like a pistol, but holding it like a rifle doesn't work at all. The Rapidstrike I find is a pretty comfortable blaster to shoulder and two-hand, with the exception of the grip being a little too square and wide for my liking. A minimised Rapidstrike is pretty decent to one-hand, but two-handing comfort is dependent on how much you've minimised and how you two-hand.
      The EAT I'm comfortable both with and without a stock, however I know that a lot of other people don't like the EAT's pump grip. I quite like the feel of the Longstrike, thanks to its solid and comfortable stock.

      I don't think you can really compare comfort of smaller and larger Nerf *blasters since they're generally designed to be held in different positions.

      Delete
  5. I don't like taking apart expensive nerf guns (No offense) so I will buy a thunderblast and try it out. I will tell you how the ThunderBlast preforms when I use it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried the Thunderblast out myself. It's no different from the Demo rocket launcher, except excessively large and a little overpriced.

      Delete
  6. It looks like the howitzer from cod infinite warfare!

    ReplyDelete